East - Leaside
East - Leaside
The name LEASIDE came from the Lea family, who arrived from Lancashire, England 1819. John Lea later built what was claimed to be the first brick house built in York township. When John Lea Sr. died in 1854, his son William built an octagonal home on the acreage which he named Leaside. It was located close to the present site of the Leaside Memorial Gardens.
The Leaside Viaduct was completed on October 29, 1927 providing easy connection between east Toronto and Leaside. This led to the rapid growth of Leaside at the time, and in the future. The impassibility of the Don River valley had previously made it difficult for people employed in Toronto to reside in Leaside. The same month, an underpass on Millwood Road was opened through the valley.
Leaside has become one of the most popular neighbourhoods in Toronto. In light of its high profile, it is not surprising that Leaside is also one of the more expensive real estate districts in Toronto.
Leaside is in especially high demand with upper middle income families who value this neighbourhood as an ideal place to raise children. Leaside has abundant greenspace and parkland, a fine selection of schools, one of Toronto's best shopping districts on Bayview Avenue, and excellent access to public transit. Young families appreciate its schools and recreational facilities.
Popular local schools include:
- Bessborough Drive School
- St. Anselm Catholic School
- Rolph Road School
- Northlea Elementary and Middle School
- Leaside High School
- Northern Secondary School
- North Toronto CI
- Don Mills CI
- Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School