Markland Wood is the most western residential community in Toronto along Bloor Street. It's located on land originally owned by John Silverthorn who built a saw and grist mill on the nearby river bank then purchased by Mark Cavotti in September 1958. Markland is wrapped nearly entirely by the Markland Wood Country Club that follows the lowlands around Etobicoke Creek. In fact, there are only 4 entrances to the community!
The Markland Homes Association organizes and promotes many worthwhile endeavours including the annual Christmas Caravan, All Candidates Nights meetings, and a scholarship program for residents of Markland Wood who are going on to University. The Markland Home Association also publishes a monthly newsletter called the "Marklander," which keeps residents informed about the goings on in their neighbourhood.
A wide range of recreation programs are offered at Bloordale Community School. The adjoining Bloordale Park has tennis courts and is home of the Bloordale Baseball League. There are also tennis courts and a baseball diamond at Millwood Park.
Today Markland Wood (singular!) is an upscale neighbourhood with many green spaces, larger lots, and neighbourhood character built into solid brick homes, beautiful landscaping and quiet cul-de-sacs. Many homeowners grew up in the area and have returned with their families. There are many upscale condos, and housing styles date from the 1960s, with detached two-storey Georgian and Regency Revivals, backsplits and modern bungalows. This neighbourhood recently won awards for community outreach and for being Clean & Beautiful.
The schools in the area are also excellent. Silverthorn Collegiate was rated as one of the best schools in Toronto for athletes, and has graduated many high performers. Its a great place to attend if a student is hoping to earn scholarships.